Are you a selfie lover?
Are you harming or helping your social profile?
Some of the most popular photos on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter these days are selfies.
Do you know that the word selfie has it's own Wikipedia page?
A selfie is a self-portrait photograph, typically taken with a hand-held digital camera or camera phone. Selfies are often shared on social networking services such as Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr and Twitter. They are usually flattering and made to appear casual. Most selfies are taken with a camera held at arm’s length or pointed at a mirror, rather than by using a self-timer.
This is not just a teen thing either... selfies are popular with celebs, almost everyone on instagram!and just the plain vain among us.
When done right selfies can be the best friend of a small business. Avoid being too narcissistic or salesy and you could really boost your engagement.
So how do you guarantee more engagement?
Here are some simple tips.
- Do we care?... If I don't care about the picture, then I'm not likely to engage. Narcissism is a no no.
- Making the selfie look good is all important... think about the composition, crop out unnecessary features and by all means plan! Avoid the shoot and post if the picture isn't good enough to represent you or your brand.
- Lighting is all important... never have the light behind you (remember that's like shooting into the light with a 'real' camera shot).
- Don't post selfies with weird backgrounds.. we've all seen the unfortunate bathroom selfie where the mirror reveals children in the background or even worse! Practive before you post.. and again crop the weirdness out!
- If you are a selfie pro you already know to take your selfie from slightly higher up (think about 10 degrees).. if not then the reason we do this is to minimize double chins and highlight cheek bones. Ever wondered why people all look better in selfies? Now you know!
- There are so many cool apps to use out there, think about downloading one to make your selfies even more engagement worthy. Look for something with cool lens features.
- Share on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.
Here is an amazing visual from Post Planner - How to get more likes and comments